A LETTER FROM JAMES

Chapter 1 – part 2


9 Believers who are poor have something to boast about, for God has honored them. 10 And those who are rich should boast that God has humbled them. They will fade away like a little flower in the field. 11 The hot sun rises and the grass withers; the little flower droops and falls, and its beauty fades away. In the same way, the rich will fade away with all of their achievements.

An egalitarian church
Here we get a cameo of what the early church looked like. It was an egalitarian society where the poor, the rich, the slave and free served and worshipped together without any distinction
whatsoever. The poor felt comfortable and valued since Christianity treated them with the same respect and honour as the rich. The poor were honoured and the rich were humbled. Consequently, James feels free to address this situation affirming that all classes have the same thing to boast about. All were aware that they were the same forgiven sinners. The cross had become the great equaliser of all humanity.


However, he takes the time to warn the rich that as a flower can fade in inclement
weather, wealth and achievements can fade just as quickly. No doubt James knew well the parable of his brother, Jesus, about the rich fool whose land was so fertile that he ran out of storage room, built lager storehouses and enjoyed his wealth. “But God said to him, ‘You fool! You will die this very night. Then who will get everything you worked for?’ “Yes, a person is a fool to store up earthly wealth but not have a rich relationship with God.” (Luke 12:16-21 - NLT)

12 God blesses those who patiently endure testing and temptation. Afterward they will receive the crown of life that God has promised to those who love him. 
13 And remember, when you are being tempted, do not say, “God is tempting me.” God is never tempted to do wrong and he never tempts anyone else. 14 Temptation comes from our own desires, which entice us and drag us away. 15 These desires give birth to sinful actions. And when sin is allowed to grow, it gives birth to death. (James 1:12-15 – NLT)

The process of sin
Having identified the basic character of temptation and sin that exists within all of us, we need to understand how the development from temptation to sin works out. We must first
acknowledge that temptation is part of our basic nature and in no way comes from God. God is holy and pure, and temptation or sin can never ever be part of his character. That leaves us as the owner of the dilemma. Temptation, which is the basis of sin, is a direct outcome of our own base and selfish desires, which, at times, can be rationalised and seem quite justifiable. Humanity is great at self-delusion, and this area of temptation and desire is a fertile ground for self-delusion.

The crown of life
Verse 12 may seem a little out of place here and would seem to belong to some of the earlier verses about enduring suffering. However, it is here and we must deal with it within the context.  As we have discovered Christians are not immune from trial and suffering and the fortitude in which they face them, crowns them as the recipients of God’s amazing grace. People have long worn some sort of adornment around their head as a symbol of success in a specific activity in which they are involved.

The crown of laurel leaves was often used as a symbol of success at sporting events. Women often wore a wreath of flowers around their head to signify a special event such as a wedding. On regal occasions a king would wear a crown of gold and precious stones. This crown signified the success in the participation in an important occasion.

James sees life for these new Christian as being a celebration of life itself. Within their new found Christian lifestyle they have won a victory over sin and participate as citizens of a new kingdom, the kingdom of God, and to them belongs the crown of life.

Temptation and sin
James then goes on to deal with the subject and process of temptation and sin. Temptation is as natural to humanity as the air we breathe; it assaults the inner world of every person ever born and to deny its existence in our lives is just plain ignorance and foolishness. There is a sense in which we need to intentionally confront temptation in our inner life and call it for what it is, the desire to sin and perpetrate wrong actions.

As great as he was, the Apostle Paul acknowledged and confronted temptation and sin in his own life.
So the trouble is not with the law, for it is spiritual and good. The trouble is with me, for I am all too human, a slave to sin. I don’t really understand myself, for I want to do what is right, but I don’t do it. Instead, I do what I hate. But if I know that what I am doing is wrong, this shows that I agree that the law is good. So I am not the one doing wrong; it is sin living in me that does it. And I know that nothing good lives in me, that is, in my sinful nature. I want to do what is right, but I can’t. I want to do what is good, but I don’t. I don’t want to do what is wrong, but I do it anyway. But if I do what I don’t want to do, I am not really the one doing wrong; it is sin living in me that does it. I have discovered this principle of life—that when I want to do what is right, I inevitably do what is wrong. I love God’s law with all my heart. But there is another power within me that is at war with my mind. This power makes me a slave to the sin that is still within me. Oh, what a miserable person I am! Who will free me from this life that is dominated by sin and death? Thank God! The answer is in Jesus Christ our Lord. So you see how it is: In my mind I really want to obey God’s law, but because of my sinful nature I am a slave to sin. (Romans 7:14-25 - NLT)

The end result of this temptation and sin process is spiritual death, and that will be the outcome for every human being unless we can access a circuit breaker. Something needs to happen, or someone needs to intervene and interrupt this process. In his writing in Romans Paul comes to the only solution possible: Thank God! The answer is in Jesus Christ our Lord. Only Jesus, by paying the penalty of our sin and providing us with his ongoing presence, the presence of the Holy Spirit, can be the only circuit-breaker possible.

16 So don’t be misled, my dear brothers and sisters. 17 Whatever is good and perfect is a gift coming down to us from God our Father, who created all the lights in the heavens. He never changes or casts a shifting shadow. 18 He chose to give birth to us by giving us his true word. And we, out of all creation, became his prized possession. (James 1:16-18 – NLT)

The Good Provider is unchangeable
In the creation narrative in Genesis 1 we have this re-occurring comment from God as he surveyed his creation:  And God saw that it was good (NLT). And God’s opinion of his creation hasn’t changed; everything he has created was good, that is not to say that humanity has not
misused God’s creation. James wants his readers to understand that no matter what is happening around them, whatever troubles and suffering they are facing; Whatever is good and perfect is a gift coming down to us from God our Father. He goes on to point out that God created the lights of heaven which vary with the seasons, but he himself is unchangeable.

In the creation humanity was the pinnacle of God’s creative act, and although the relationship was damaged by sin, humanity still remains, in the heart of God, his prized possession. Although sin has seriously damaged that relationship, when we are born anew we become his child in the fullest sense, with all the rights and privileges of a genuine heir with Jesus.

Prayer
Father, we are aware that your word teaches us the equality of all humanity. Help us to intentionally make that a reality with our own community of faith and not only treat other with that sense of equality, but to infuse that reality into our mindset. We know that it is our inner attitudes and mindset are the target of temptation and sin.

Help us to quickly and clearly identify temptation when it arises personally, to honestly be willing to wrestle with it and win the victory which leads to the crown of life.

May we be acutely aware that you are a God who is unchangeable and dependable and that you want what is best for those who choose life in the Kingdom of God as their lifestyle. Help us to be confident and secure in our relationship with you.


Video Great is thy faithfulness


Comments

Popular posts from this blog