LEST WE FORGET

By David Woodbury

After a long and sometimes painful process, we have arrived at the vision of a national territory. Although I was unable to be present in Melbourne, images and video streaming from the event branded it as an impressive spectacular, with its camels, donkeys and top-line performers. Such celebrations are important and beneficial for they enable us to celebrate our faith and encourage the community of faith. However, they are not indicators of success, growth, or, for that matter, divine approval.

I found myself reflecting back on similar spectaculars at Robert Schuller’s Crystal Cathedral. His TV ministry, The Hour of Power, along with his opulent Crystal Cathedral marked out his philosophy with all the hallmarks of American excesses and consumerism. However, it is worth noting that his whole empire crumbled amidst bitter family squabbling and his church filed for bankruptcy in 2010. His Crystal Cathedral was sold off to the Roman Catholic Church.


On reflecting on recent events the last verse of Rudyard Kipling’s Recessional, written in 1897 came to mind:
The tumult and the shouting dies;
The Captains and the Kings depart:
Still stands Thine ancient sacrifice,
An humble and a contrite heart.
Lord God of Hosts, be with us yet,
Lest we forget—lest we forget!
(Recessional by Rudyard Kipling – 1897)

Among all the excitement and enthusiasm of a new thing, I wonder if we have paused to consider that sometimes among that frenzied activity, a more subliminal message is heard, particularly by older Salvationist. I must confess that as I tried to read some of the highly complex bulletins and commentary by leadership coming out of the new national headquarters, I found myself questioning; did I get it wrong? Did I somehow fail as an officer and Salvationist to be true to the cause of Christ in The Salvation Army? Did my ministry and labour fall short of what God and the Army expected?

Fortunately, I am old and wise enough to know that I was faithful to my calling. However, as I have moved around recently I hear comments and sense a feeling of disappointment from older Salvationists who now feel discarded, disillusioned, overlooked and redundant.

The reality is that is they, whose faithful ministry, sacrifice and labour gave us the organisation that we have today. It was their blood, sweat, tears, sacrificial mindset, and sometimes their very lives, that built a solid and secure foundation.

Over the years of my retirement, I have had the privilege of researching and reading much of our Salvation Army history and find myself in awe of those who built The Salvation Army in Australia. Men and women who were prepared, often without question, to pay a high price.

Next month my wife and I will celebrate 40 years since we were commissioned as Salvation Army officers, around 70 new lieutenants Australia wide. This year we commissioned 15 Australia wide. I must confess I struggle with the territorial commander’s assertion that God is doing a new thing. Perhaps we need, in all the hype and celebration, to remember those who humbly and faithfully laid a sure foundation.

Still stands Thine ancient sacrifice,
An humble and a contrite heart.
Lest we forget—lest we forget!


Comments

  1. Thanks for your comments David. I believe wholeheartedly in The Salvation Army in Australia being one territory, while at the same time realising that such sweeping change produces grief in our hearts. This grief is compounded by the internal grief many of us felt in the recent past through the fallout of the Royal Commission into Institutional Responses to Child Abuse. It has not been an easy time for us. I have read those bulletins you speak of and have heard the TC's comments from time to time. It is right that he should proclaim a new day for The Salvation Army and the Church of God in Australia. We desperately need it. But I have to say that I have heard him on a number of occasions thank all who have gone before for both their faithfulness and ingenuity in ministry.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for you response Peter – much appreciated. I don’t think the issue is the amalgamation. Regardless of personal viewpoints this is a done deal. What we are dealing with now is a very human sensitivity called “change management”. I have heard the territorial commander extol the efforts of past Salvationists and I value his words. However, while people hear words they also read actions, and I suspect there is a growing sense of a lack of inclusiveness as much of what was The Salvation Army in the erstwhile Eastern Territory, is transferred to Melbourne.

      Delete
  2. I see the single territory as being potentially more effective and efficient but I have also seen it's effects on real people, discarded in thoughtless ways. Is all of that God's plan? Time will reveal.

    My personal feeling about The Army is that we have become too middle class and comfortable. Our membership is mostly "respectable" and priviledged in the grander scheme and our identity as an organisation is trying way too hard to be "corporate"

    Corporations are the world's idea. Shipping officers across the world or across the country to attend a TSA bacchanalia is a corporate idea. A Salvation Army "expo" marketing to our own people is a worldly indulgence.

    I do believe God is moving but will He reduce us to ash before the rebuilding begins? I would not be surprised

    ReplyDelete
  3. My thoughts are that God is not so much doing a "new" thing (God is the same yesterday, today and tomorrow) but that He is continuing his amazing restoration plan for all of humanity, just in a different way, a way that resonates and is perfect for a time such as this. I feel like every generation would have felt that God was doing a 'new thing' in their time, and it's alive, and exciting, and fresh! And that's the amazing thing about God and his Word and his Spirit, His mercies are new and fresh every morning! The fact that we can read the same book over and over and over again and still be renewed, excited and invigorated by its Living Word is just one demonstration of how, despite the fact that God never changes, he is constantly new! Thanks for your blog David, I love hearing your thoughts. xx

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog