THE CALL TO DISCIPLESHIP

By David Woodbury

This post was written from my hospital room at St George Hospital in Sydney; my fourth visit here this year (2018) for chronic asthma. Such circumstances have a way of clearly focusing your mind and inner being. I think that sometimes God allows these circumstances to come upon us to get our undivided attention and he waits for the response from the depths of the soul: “Speak Lord, for your servant is listening”.

Amidst the earthquake and whirlwind of trying to home-manage a chronic illness and the ongoing debates with doctors as to the best course of action, I have given up and accepted that hospitalisation is the only course open. In the night hours, when sleep is impossible, thanks to the large quantities of steroids being used to treat my condition, I wrestle with God and finally surrender. When you can accept, and understand, that amid the turmoil, a loving God is still in control, you hear once again that “still, small voice”, for which I am deeply grateful.

Our life circumstances have changed considerably over this year and following one of these hospital stays Jeanette and I came to the decision that we needed to take the advice we have given to others in the years of pastorally caring for corps folk: To down-size and move to a more practical living style is a decision you need to make before you need to make it. Consequently, after 16 years we moved out of a very pleasant villa in a very pleasant part of Sydney, into the Army’s new retirement village at Macquarie Lodge. It has been a wise decision and a good experience.

Dietrich Bonhoeffer
Among all the frantic activity of packing up I have had to seriously cull my library, not enough, according to Jeanette. Among the few hard copy books I decided to keep was the only remaining book from the “Frank Bell Award”, given to me when I was commissioned as an officer 40 year ago. I have decided to read again The Cost of discipleship, by Dietrich Bonhoeffer and am once again impacted by its message of authentic discipleship.

Discipleship is not a choice we make; it is an act of obedience to a call. When we totally understand this, it changes the whole dynamic of our lives. If it is simply a choice, then it has more to do with my will, rather than an act of obedience, which has more to do with God’s will for me. Of course, choice is part of the process, but rather the choice to be obedient.

When we decided to follow Jesus and embark on the kingdom lifestyle, that was a choice, a decision of our own freewill. However, we cannot get stuck in that choice, for somewhere along the path of authentic discipleship we need to come to the complete understanding that this kingdom lifestyle is really about a calling. Choice may have got it started, but it is the act of obedience to the call of Jesus that has to be its mainspring.

We are left in no doubt as to how Jesus perceived this path of discipleship to be actioned: For many are called, but few are chosen. (Matthew 22:14 – NLT) You didn’t choose me. chose you. I appointed you to go and produce lasting fruit, (John 15:16 – NLT) I sometimes think that if we don’t understand this transition from choice, to the act of obedience to Jesus’ calling, we stagnate in our spiritual life and it becomes dry, unrewarding and unproductive.

We need to see this kingdom lifestyle; that of discipleship, in all its entirety and splendour, for here is an invitation to me personally from the Son of God, to respond to a divine and eternal calling. I need to distinguish here between this calling and the calling of those who have been called to full-time ministry. They are two distinct callings, equal and crucial, and the reality is that the call to full-time ministry comes subsequent to the call to discipleship.

The call to authentic discipleship has an honour and supremacy about it that can blow your mind away. It is only when we truly comprehend the enormity of that call that we can, in all humility, step out into the kingdom lifestyle. Why am I labouring this point? Because I believe that this is one of the great secrets in living a truly, fulfilled Christian lifestyle! Here is the answer to many of life’s basic questions:
  • ·         Why am I here?
  • ·         What is my life all about?

 When I logically, and spiritually understand; that it is the Son of God who calls me into an intimate and meaningful relational life with Him, the whole scenario of life and living changes. When you fully comprehend that your entire life has a calling, life starts to take on real and authentic meaning; and it is this meaning to life that is exactly what most of us want, and are looking for.

Dare I say it? It seems to me that Christianity with its call to authentic discipleship answers many of the basic questions of life.









Comments

  1. Christianity does, indeed answer many of life's questions: the ones that are common to us all and the one's specific to our own journey. In recent years I have seen many people wrestle with all kinds of issues and have been relieved that their particular thing is something I would be able to leave with God.
    Asthma can take people to heaven before anybody is ready for them to go, hospital treatment means you might get a few extra experiences in this world

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog